Welcome to Medical Billing and Coding Connection! Your one stop for all of the information you need on training and careers in these popular Allied Health professions! Whether your goal is to work as a medical biller, coder or a medical transcriptionist, we’ll guide you step-by-step toward earning your certification and finding a job.
A common misconception is that medical billing, coding and transcription are tasks performed by the same people. Although they usually work in the same office or even closely together, a medical biller’s role is vastly different than what the coder or the transcriptionist is doing. Let’s take a closer look at the various duties of each of these jobs to help you better make a decision on which job is right for you.
Careers in Medical Billing
What is Medical Billing?
Working as part of the medical records and health information management department, medical billers are responsible for translating healthcare treatments and procedures into a claim form for payment. For more specifics on what a biller does, please refer to the overview provided here.
Medical Billing Training
At this time, there are no industry-wide educational requirements to become a medical biller. However, you will have an advantage in your job search if you complete an American Medical Billing Association (AMBA) or American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)-accredited certificate program. For more details, please check out our comprehensive guide to medical billing and coding schools.
About Online Schools
If you do not live near a medical billing school, or you have a busy personal life, you can get your medical billing training online through one of many online schools. Be sure to check for accreditation by the U.S. Department of Education or a similar body when comparing programs that interest you.
Medical Billing Certification
To work at the highest levels of the medical billing profession, you will need to get your certification. Being certified shows potential employers that you have the experience, knowledge and expertise to handle their billing needs. Check out our guide to medical billing certification to learn more!
Careers in Medical Coding
What is Medical Coding?
Working hand-in-hand with the medical billing department, the medical coder is the person who assigns the proper code for every procedure, treatment and service performed on a patient. To learn more about this field, and how you can get started in it, see our overview of medical coding.
Medical Coding Training
By attending an American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)-accredited medical coding training program, you will be on the path towards a rewarding career as a Certified Coding Specialist (CCS). You can become a CCS relatively quickly, and soon be working in the fast-paced healthcare industry.
To learn more, we recommend that you review the helpful articles in our Medical Coding category and familiarize yourself with the various guides provided.
Would you believe that it’s possible to study to become a medical coder from your own home? Find out if distance learning is right for you and learn about the pitfalls you should avoid in this overview of medical coding schools online.
Medical Coding Certification
Certification for medical billers is voluntary, but well worth the time and effort as it should create more opportunities and potentially higher pay. Learn how to get the best jobs and bigger salaries by earning your medical coding certification.
Medical Transcriptionist Careers
What is Medical Transcription?
A medical transcriptionist takes the dictated recordings for physicians and other healthcare professionals and creates written reports of the recordings. They also serve as the editor of medical records and documents in the practice. To learn more about the duties and role of a medical transcriptionist, click here.
Medical Transcriptionist Training
Depending on your career goals, you can become medical transcriptionist in as little as six months to as long as two years by attending one of the Association of Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI) approved schools. Our articles on training and schools will help you find out what you need to know to attend one of the accredited medical transcriptionist schools.
Online Medical Transcriptionist Schools
A growing number of medical transcriptionist are learning how to do the job from online training programs, and you can to! We present you with the one of the most comprehensive reports on online education for medical transcriptionists that can be found here.
Medical Transcription Certification
Once you have finished your training, it is highly recommended that you earn medical transcriptionist certification to better your career and open opportunities. Learn more about certification for medical transcription here.
Let’s Get Started!
All the tools you need to start your future as a medical biller, medical coder or a medical transcriptionist are right here on Medical Billing and Coding Connection. Besides giving you tons of information on what you need to know about billers, coders and transcriptionists, we also have provided a searchable database of some of the best training schools in the country.
Find Your School Today:
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership - Organizational Leadership
- Master of Business Administration - Leadership
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction - Teacher Leader
- And more...
- Explore bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in social science fields like psychology, applied behavioral science, sociology, cognitive studies, and public sociology.
- Pursue a tech degree in areas like computer software technology, cyber & data security technology, information technology, and more.
- Most degree programs are offered entirely online in a flexible format that fits into the busy lives of working adults.
- Classes last 5 weeks for undergraduate programs and 6 weeks for graduate programs.
- Associate of Arts - Early Childhood.
- BA/Early Childhood Education Administration
- BA/Education Studies
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Ministry: Evangelism & Church Planting
- M.Div: Homiletics
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- Graduate Certificate in Project Management
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- B.S. in Human Services / Human Services Management
- And more...
Designed by RNs for RNs
Chamberlain’s RN to BSN option offers convenient 100% online coursework, no mandatory login times and no campus visits. This flexible framework allows you to continue in your current role while you pursue your degree. And, because the curriculum is developed and taught by RNs who are also educators, you know you are learning what you need to push your skills forward now – and in the future.
- RN to BSN Online Option
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - International Business
- Master of Arts in Homeland Security
- And more...
Study for your graduate education with University of Illinois at Chicago. We offer master’s degree and post-master’s certificate programs in health informatics that can be completed 100% online.
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Science in Management - Marketing
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Child & Adolescent Therapy
- And more...
- Class A CDL Driving Programs