Welcome to Medical Billing and Coding Connection! Your one stop for all of the information you need on training and careers in these popular Allied Health professions! Whether your goal is to work as a medical biller, coder or a medical transcriptionist, we’ll guide you step-by-step toward earning your certification and finding a job.
A common misconception is that medical billing, coding and transcription are tasks performed by the same people. Although they usually work in the same office or even closely together, a medical biller’s role is vastly different than what the coder or the transcriptionist is doing. Let’s take a closer look at the various duties of each of these jobs to help you better make a decision on which job is right for you.
Careers in Medical Billing
What is Medical Billing?
Working as part of the medical records and health information management department, medical billers are responsible for translating healthcare treatments and procedures into a claim form for payment. For more specifics on what a biller does, please refer to the overview provided here.
Medical Billing Training
At this time, there are no industry-wide educational requirements to become a medical biller. However, you will have an advantage in your job search if you complete an American Medical Billing Association (AMBA) or American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)-accredited certificate program. For more details, please check out our comprehensive guide to medical billing and coding schools.
About Online Schools
If you do not live near a medical billing school, or you have a busy personal life, you can get your medical billing training online through one of many online schools. Be sure to check for accreditation by the U.S. Department of Education or a similar body when comparing programs that interest you.
Medical Billing Certification
To work at the highest levels of the medical billing profession, you will need to get your certification. Being certified shows potential employers that you have the experience, knowledge and expertise to handle their billing needs. Check out our guide to medical billing certification to learn more!
Careers in Medical Coding
What is Medical Coding?
Working hand-in-hand with the medical billing department, the medical coder is the person who assigns the proper code for every procedure, treatment and service performed on a patient. To learn more about this field, and how you can get started in it, see our overview of medical coding.
Medical Coding Training
By attending an American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)-accredited medical coding training program, you will be on the path towards a rewarding career as a Certified Coding Specialist (CCS). You can become a CCS relatively quickly, and soon be working in the fast-paced healthcare industry.
To learn more, we recommend that you review the helpful articles in our Medical Coding category and familiarize yourself with the various guides provided.
Would you believe that it’s possible to study to become a medical coder from your own home? Find out if distance learning is right for you and learn about the pitfalls you should avoid in this overview of medical coding schools online.
Medical Coding Certification
Certification for medical billers is voluntary, but well worth the time and effort as it should create more opportunities and potentially higher pay. Learn how to get the best jobs and bigger salaries by earning your medical coding certification.
Medical Transcriptionist Careers
What is Medical Transcription?
A medical transcriptionist takes the dictated recordings for physicians and other healthcare professionals and creates written reports of the recordings. They also serve as the editor of medical records and documents in the practice. To learn more about the duties and role of a medical transcriptionist, click here.
Medical Transcriptionist Training
Depending on your career goals, you can become medical transcriptionist in as little as six months to as long as two years by attending one of the Association of Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI) approved schools. Our articles on training and schools will help you find out what you need to know to attend one of the accredited medical transcriptionist schools.
Online Medical Transcriptionist Schools
A growing number of medical transcriptionist are learning how to do the job from online training programs, and you can to! We present you with the one of the most comprehensive reports on online education for medical transcriptionists that can be found here.
Medical Transcription Certification
Once you have finished your training, it is highly recommended that you earn medical transcriptionist certification to better your career and open opportunities. Learn more about certification for medical transcription here.
Let’s Get Started!
All the tools you need to start your future as a medical biller, medical coder or a medical transcriptionist are right here on Medical Billing and Coding Connection. Besides giving you tons of information on what you need to know about billers, coders and transcriptionists, we also have provided a searchable database of some of the best training schools in the country.
Find Your School Today:
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- BS in Business Administration
- MS in Accounting - Audit Specialization
- AAS in Criminal Justice
- And more...
As a leader in education, Regis is dedicated to offering programs with a holistic view of health services that are designed for the future of the field. Through cutting-edge coursework, industry-active faculty members, and an array of majors and graduate programs, Regis has been able to positively impact the educational community, health services landscape, and personal lives of students nationwide.
- Online Master of Public Health - Epidemiology Concentration
- Online Master of Public Health
- Online Master of Health Administration
- And more...
- Payroll Clerk
- Private Investigation
- High School
- And more...
- Cloud Technologies Bachelors - Online
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- And more...
You can receive a top-notch education in a flexible environment. Learn more about the Villanova online learning experience and the difference that sets us apart by further exploring our online programs.
Rankings- Villanova University is consistently ranked among the best in the nation
- The Villanova School of Business (VSB) was recognized among the top schools in the nation on the U.S. News & World Report's annual Best Online Graduate Business Programs ranking, earning the #1 rank.
- Villanova University was recognized among the top schools in the nation on the U.S. News & World Report's annual Best Online MBA Programs.
- Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law is approved by the Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar of the American Bar Association, 321 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60654, (312) 988-6738. 21 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60654, (312) 988-6738.
- Online Master of Laws in Taxation
- Online Master of Science in Analytics
- Online Master of Business Administration
- And more...
Aviation Institute of Maintenance schools are distinguished institutes committed to the education and personal enrichment of each student interested in the Aviation Industry. Students can succeed in our collegiate environment when properly motivated and taught to set goals in furthering their education. All aspects of our mechanic school are enriched with creating an atmosphere conducive to learning, while instilling a high degree of business ethics and professionalism.
- Aviation Maintenance Technician
- Aviation Maintenance Technical Engineer
- Bachelor of Engineering Information Technology Emphasis in Network and Systems Security (BEITNSS)
- Bachelor of Engineering Information Technology in Project Management (BEITPM)
- Master of Business Administration in Healthcare Management and Leadership (MBAHCML)
- And more...
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
- Master of Public Health Online
The online Master of Social Work program from Fordham University’s top-ranked Graduate School of Social Service (GSS) is one of the nation’s largest schools of social work. Rooted in the tradition of care for the whole person, GSS has been providing high-quality social work education for more than 100 years. Students develop skills that extend across populations and social work contexts as they progress through the University’s forward-facing curriculum. Bachelor's degree required.
- Master of Social Work
- Executive MBA