Welcome to Medical Billing and Coding Connection! Your one stop for all of the information you need on training and careers in these popular Allied Health professions! Whether your goal is to work as a medical biller, coder or a medical transcriptionist, we’ll guide you step-by-step toward earning your certification and finding a job.
A common misconception is that medical billing, coding and transcription are tasks performed by the same people. Although they usually work in the same office or even closely together, a medical biller’s role is vastly different than what the coder or the transcriptionist is doing. Let’s take a closer look at the various duties of each of these jobs to help you better make a decision on which job is right for you.
Careers in Medical Billing
What is Medical Billing?
Working as part of the medical records and health information management department, medical billers are responsible for translating healthcare treatments and procedures into a claim form for payment. For more specifics on what a biller does, please refer to the overview provided here.
Medical Billing Training
At this time, there are no industry-wide educational requirements to become a medical biller. However, you will have an advantage in your job search if you complete an American Medical Billing Association (AMBA) or American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)-accredited certificate program. For more details, please check out our comprehensive guide to medical billing and coding schools.
About Online Schools
If you do not live near a medical billing school, or you have a busy personal life, you can get your medical billing training online through one of many online schools. Be sure to check for accreditation by the U.S. Department of Education or a similar body when comparing programs that interest you.
Medical Billing Certification
To work at the highest levels of the medical billing profession, you will need to get your certification. Being certified shows potential employers that you have the experience, knowledge and expertise to handle their billing needs. Check out our guide to medical billing certification to learn more!
Careers in Medical Coding
What is Medical Coding?
Working hand-in-hand with the medical billing department, the medical coder is the person who assigns the proper code for every procedure, treatment and service performed on a patient. To learn more about this field, and how you can get started in it, see our overview of medical coding.
Medical Coding Training
By attending an American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)-accredited medical coding training program, you will be on the path towards a rewarding career as a Certified Coding Specialist (CCS). You can become a CCS relatively quickly, and soon be working in the fast-paced healthcare industry.
To learn more, we recommend that you review the helpful articles in our Medical Coding category and familiarize yourself with the various guides provided.
Would you believe that it’s possible to study to become a medical coder from your own home? Find out if distance learning is right for you and learn about the pitfalls you should avoid in this overview of medical coding schools online.
Medical Coding Certification
Certification for medical billers is voluntary, but well worth the time and effort as it should create more opportunities and potentially higher pay. Learn how to get the best jobs and bigger salaries by earning your medical coding certification.
Medical Transcriptionist Careers
What is Medical Transcription?
A medical transcriptionist takes the dictated recordings for physicians and other healthcare professionals and creates written reports of the recordings. They also serve as the editor of medical records and documents in the practice. To learn more about the duties and role of a medical transcriptionist, click here.
Medical Transcriptionist Training
Depending on your career goals, you can become medical transcriptionist in as little as six months to as long as two years by attending one of the Association of Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI) approved schools. Our articles on training and schools will help you find out what you need to know to attend one of the accredited medical transcriptionist schools.
Online Medical Transcriptionist Schools
A growing number of medical transcriptionist are learning how to do the job from online training programs, and you can to! We present you with the one of the most comprehensive reports on online education for medical transcriptionists that can be found here.
Medical Transcription Certification
Once you have finished your training, it is highly recommended that you earn medical transcriptionist certification to better your career and open opportunities. Learn more about certification for medical transcription here.
Let’s Get Started!
All the tools you need to start your future as a medical biller, medical coder or a medical transcriptionist are right here on Medical Billing and Coding Connection. Besides giving you tons of information on what you need to know about billers, coders and transcriptionists, we also have provided a searchable database of some of the best training schools in the country.
Find Your School Today:
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Law Enforcement
- Bachelor's (BSCJ) - Forensic Science
- And more...
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Human Services
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership - Organizational Leadership
- Master of Business Administration - Leadership
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction - Teacher Leader
- And more...
- Associate’s, Bachelor’s, and Master’s degrees available in a wide range of fields.
- Flexible online programs offered in Psychology, Criminal Justice, Education, and more.
- Assigned Financial Services Advisors to help answer student financial questions.
- Servicemembers and their spouses can apply for the Ashford Military Grant to reduce tuition for all undergraduate courses.
- Associate of Arts - Early Childhood.
- BA/Early Childhood Education Administration
- BA/Education Studies
- And more...
Aviation Institute of Maintenance schools are distinguished institutes committed to the education and personal enrichment of each student interested in the Aviation Industry. Students can succeed in our collegiate environment when properly motivated and taught to set goals in furthering their education. All aspects of our mechanic school are enriched with creating an atmosphere conducive to learning, while instilling a high degree of business ethics and professionalism.
- Aviation Maintenance Technician
- Aviation Maintenance Technical Engineer
The Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is located in the heart of Washington, D.C., and is dedicated to advancing the health of communities on a local, national and global scale. Established in 1997, the Milken Institute School focuses on the fields of medicine, business and education to prepare professionals in health care and health services to tackle complex global health challenges.
- Master of Science in Health Informatics and Analytics
- Cloud Technologies Bachelors - Online
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- And more...
Designed by RNs for RNs
Chamberlain’s RN to BSN option offers convenient 100% online coursework, no mandatory login times and no campus visits. This flexible framework allows you to continue in your current role while you pursue your degree. And, because the curriculum is developed and taught by RNs who are also educators, you know you are learning what you need to push your skills forward now – and in the future.
- RN to BSN Online Option
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Radiologic Sciences
- Crime Intelligence Analysis
- And more...
Now you don't have to leave home to earn a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree from Northern Illinois University!
- Master of Science in Data Analytics
- Online BSN to Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Master of Public Health - Health Services Management
- And more...