Welcome to Medical Billing and Coding Connection! Your one stop for all of the information you need on training and careers in these popular Allied Health professions! Whether your goal is to work as a medical biller, coder or a medical transcriptionist, we’ll guide you step-by-step toward earning your certification and finding a job.
A common misconception is that medical billing, coding and transcription are tasks performed by the same people. Although they usually work in the same office or even closely together, a medical biller’s role is vastly different than what the coder or the transcriptionist is doing. Let’s take a closer look at the various duties of each of these jobs to help you better make a decision on which job is right for you.
Careers in Medical Billing
What is Medical Billing?
Working as part of the medical records and health information management department, medical billers are responsible for translating healthcare treatments and procedures into a claim form for payment. For more specifics on what a biller does, please refer to the overview provided here.
Medical Billing Training
At this time, there are no industry-wide educational requirements to become a medical biller. However, you will have an advantage in your job search if you complete an American Medical Billing Association (AMBA) or American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)-accredited certificate program. For more details, please check out our comprehensive guide to medical billing and coding schools.
About Online Schools
If you do not live near a medical billing school, or you have a busy personal life, you can get your medical billing training online through one of many online schools. Be sure to check for accreditation by the U.S. Department of Education or a similar body when comparing programs that interest you.
Medical Billing Certification
To work at the highest levels of the medical billing profession, you will need to get your certification. Being certified shows potential employers that you have the experience, knowledge and expertise to handle their billing needs. Check out our guide to medical billing certification to learn more!
Careers in Medical Coding
What is Medical Coding?
Working hand-in-hand with the medical billing department, the medical coder is the person who assigns the proper code for every procedure, treatment and service performed on a patient. To learn more about this field, and how you can get started in it, see our overview of medical coding.
Medical Coding Training
By attending an American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)-accredited medical coding training program, you will be on the path towards a rewarding career as a Certified Coding Specialist (CCS). You can become a CCS relatively quickly, and soon be working in the fast-paced healthcare industry.
To learn more, we recommend that you review the helpful articles in our Medical Coding category and familiarize yourself with the various guides provided.
Would you believe that it’s possible to study to become a medical coder from your own home? Find out if distance learning is right for you and learn about the pitfalls you should avoid in this overview of medical coding schools online.
Medical Coding Certification
Certification for medical billers is voluntary, but well worth the time and effort as it should create more opportunities and potentially higher pay. Learn how to get the best jobs and bigger salaries by earning your medical coding certification.
Medical Transcriptionist Careers
What is Medical Transcription?
A medical transcriptionist takes the dictated recordings for physicians and other healthcare professionals and creates written reports of the recordings. They also serve as the editor of medical records and documents in the practice. To learn more about the duties and role of a medical transcriptionist, click here.
Medical Transcriptionist Training
Depending on your career goals, you can become medical transcriptionist in as little as six months to as long as two years by attending one of the Association of Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI) approved schools. Our articles on training and schools will help you find out what you need to know to attend one of the accredited medical transcriptionist schools.
Online Medical Transcriptionist Schools
A growing number of medical transcriptionist are learning how to do the job from online training programs, and you can to! We present you with the one of the most comprehensive reports on online education for medical transcriptionists that can be found here.
Medical Transcription Certification
Once you have finished your training, it is highly recommended that you earn medical transcriptionist certification to better your career and open opportunities. Learn more about certification for medical transcription here.
Let’s Get Started!
All the tools you need to start your future as a medical biller, medical coder or a medical transcriptionist are right here on Medical Billing and Coding Connection. Besides giving you tons of information on what you need to know about billers, coders and transcriptionists, we also have provided a searchable database of some of the best training schools in the country.
Find Your School Today:
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Information Technology Bachelors- Online
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- And more...
- Explore bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in social science fields like psychology, applied behavioral science, sociology, cognitive studies, and public sociology.
- Pursue a tech degree in areas like computer software technology, cyber & data security technology, information technology, and more.
- Most degree programs are offered entirely online in a flexible format that fits into the busy lives of working adults.
- Classes last 5 weeks for undergraduate programs and 6 weeks for graduate programs.
- Associate of Arts - Early Childhood.
- BA/Early Childhood Education Administration
- BA/Education Studies
- And more...
Study for your graduate education with University of Illinois at Chicago. We offer master’s degree and post-master’s certificate programs in health informatics that can be completed 100% online.
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- International Business - D.B.A.
- Leadership in Higher Education - EdS
- MS Organizational Leadership - Nonprofit Management
- And more...
Earn your Master of Accountancy online from the University of North Dakota and become a future-focused accountant with the skills to lead in a profession that’s always in demand in every industry
- Master of Accountancy
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. In Curriculum and Instruction - Trauma and Resilience in Educational Settings
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: The Inclusive Classroom
- Higher Education (EDD)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Ministry: Evangelism & Church Planting
- M.Div: Homiletics
- And more...
Aviation Institute of Maintenance schools are distinguished institutes committed to the education and personal enrichment of each student interested in the Aviation Industry. Students can succeed in our collegiate environment when properly motivated and taught to set goals in furthering their education. All aspects of our mechanic school are enriched with creating an atmosphere conducive to learning, while instilling a high degree of business ethics and professionalism.
- Aviation Maintenance Technician
- Maintenance Technology
- Aviation Maintenance Technical Engineer
Ohio University has offered distance learning educational opportunities for more than 100 years. Our nationally-ranked graduate programs provide flexible opportunities to students around the globe
- Master of Business Analytics
- Master of Health Administration